Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ruby fever

I've caught Ruby fever. This malady besets the jaded Perl programmer, who has grown comfortable with Perl scripting, but dislikes the forced indentation of Python, and wants something more general purpose than Javascript.

Ruby is really cool! It makes a fresh start with "Everything's an object", so there's no "Bolt on" or "Oh, yeah, we can do objects!" feel that's common with Perl or Python.

It makes programming easy and fun again, keeping desirable tasks simple and intuitive. For example, the notions of iterators, blocks, and collections make the language easy to embrace and compelling to code in immediately.

I also like the interactive Ruby shell (irb), the presence of a decent debugger, and the surprisingly extensive collection of class libraries.

Onward & Ruby-ho!

1 comment:

  1. I guess I should put learning Ruby on my list. And now, if I get stuck, I have a friend I can run too for help! MOO HAHAHAHAHA HAAAAA!!!

    I am a little curious as to what you can do with Ruby on the web.

    ReplyDelete