Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Twitter

I tried it, but I came away less than impressed.

In particular, I found the "all or nothing" tweet privacy model unworkable. I also ran into a fair number of modality holes in the UI, where I couldn't return gracefully to previous areas, without resorting to clicking the browser's "Back" button, which felt unfinished or didn't work well.

I also gotta wonder how they're going to make on-going revenue from it?

I think Twitter is most useful to make others aware of breaking news, articles, books, links, insights, and stuff like that. But with regards to the trivia, nobody cares.

4 comments:

  1. Here's an interesting article about Nielsen's measurement of Twitter's user retention percentage. The author brings up a good point - Nielsen should explain how it gathered the data and whether service access was measured from all possible entry points or just "browser based" clients.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/164054/twitter_suffers_from_disloyalty_says_metrics_firm.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another interesting discussion on the subject:

    http://www.clickz.com/3633679

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it's worth a second look.

    I had an initial reaction similar to yours. Twitter is full of frivolity that, although amusing, is a major time suck.

    On the flip side, in six weeks, I've developed relationships with recruiters, visionaries, CEOs, etc. There's therefore opportunities to initial collaboration that is mutually beneficial.

    Consider Michael Hyatt's post...

    http://tinyurl.com/c3tmy9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have to revise my original conclusion. I'm actually using Twitter somewhat, although I've restricted my updates to registered friends/subscribers, simply because I don't see the point of sharing everything I post with the entire world. That way, I also don't have to think about the privacy implications as much. Thanks for the comment and the link.

    ReplyDelete